Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Traveling through time via an Indian playlist

My understanding of how a DJ does their job is that they would pick a genre, or a style or an era that will set the tone for the evening. Not in India...

A few nights ago, Laura (our new house mate from the W&K office in London) and I went for a drink to Magique (a fantastic restaurant in the Garden of 5 Senses).
Our one drink turned into many and the music started getting loud enough to notice.
The songs went directly from Dolly Parton to Vanilla Ice to Tom Jones to Bob Marley... All great songs, sure, but what is the genre, what is the tone, what is the era?
On asking the DJ what was up, he told us in shock that of course he had a theme for the evening. He plays everything that is old!

After this experience I started taking note of playlists wherever I went.
In a coffee shop over lunch hour, reading my book this was the playlist:
1. Hindi song.
2. My Milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.
3. Foo Fighters, The best of you.
4. Enrique Iglesias, unknown song name
5. Will Smith, Getting Jiggy with it
Each song had a different era, a different beat, a different tone. I would guess that if I asked, I would get the response: Of course there's a theme, music that people like.

Once again, I learn that India does not function like anywhere else in the world. It has its own style, its own unique way, which seems to be what ever it wants at the time. Gotta love that!

2 comments:

  1. We're the only country in the world where Bryan Adams performs to sell-out crowds. I don't know if that's a good thing, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, when he performed here were his back up bands Metallica and Celine Dion? :)

    ReplyDelete