Sunday, December 6, 2009

Ganga's wedding

Ganga (more about her and the awesome food she cooks still coming) invited Laura, Dan and I to her brother in law's wedding.
Unfortunately Laura was in London and Dan had to work, so I nervously ventured over on my lonesome.
I went to Ganga's home before the ceremony to watch the family's preparations. I arrived at 7 and watched everyone get ready. The groom dressed without letting his feet touch the floor, his sisters adorned him with money wreaths, there was a walking band and there was dancing and dancing and dancing.
We were meant to arrive at the Bride's house at 8:30 for the ceremony, but 11:30 rolls around and we are still in the street, groom waiting patiently in his horse drawn carriage, lights lining the road and still half a kilometer to go.
I was advised that the bride and groom would only meet (and this meeting would be the meeting for the first time) in 3 hours, which was just too long for me after 4 and a half hours of celebrating. I'd had my fun and my dancing shoes needed to return to the cupboard.

What I took from my small participation in this wedding was the realisation that I have never truly celebrated. The colours, the dancing, the laughing and the effort put towards making a mad procession out of the whole thing was mind blowing. The family was dancing for hours and went on dancing long after I dragged myself home. And then 2 more days after that. The stamina...

Here are some photos.













5 comments:

  1. 11:30 in the night ain't all that bad. What irks me is when they turn up past midnight. That's like the next day! Why invite us an evening before then?

    Dancing is a virtue at Delhi weddings... Like patience is a virtue elsewhere... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's actually so true. I wonder on which day they celebrate their wedding anniversary...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. impressive photography skills... seem like u are enjoying your journey discovering india

    my cell no is 9825038613
    please call me
    thx
    cheers
    sid

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This isn't the same Ganga who worked for us, is it? Is she in any of those pictures?

    Also, did you give Sid a call? :)

    ReplyDelete