Monday, March 30, 2009

Be kind to animals

It's a good deed to feed pigeons and cows are sacred.

Weird right? And causing a truck load of issues in the cities. Cows randomly walk across streets, pigeons randomly live on my balcony and nest on top of my extractor fans.

The short version of why cows are sacred is:
Milk. Work (used for farming). Reincarnation (someone you knew could now be a cow). The Hindu God, Lord Shiva rides an Ox. At one point the cow asked the Gods to save the earth. A little bit of tradition and superstition. Here is the long version.
Here is an interesting article on the legal issues of 'cows and the city'.

When I searched how many pigeons there are in Delhi, this answer came up:
18 326 038
This can't be right as about a quarter of this live on my balcony.
Despite an hour wasted on Google, I still have no idea why it's a good deed to feed them.

1 comment: