Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A marble bed

For approximately 30 to 60 minutes a day this is where I lie:Load shedding in India puts South Africa's electrical issues to shame.
About 5 times a week, the power goes off in my apartment for about 45 minutes to an hour. This usually happens at 8 in the evening, soon after I've arrived home to a steaming apartment which has been deprived of AC all day. About 10 minutes after I have settled in front of the TV, there is a power surge - the TV, lights and my heart flicker.
Then, black.
A unanimous groan can be heard from all the residents of our colony. Once my own personal groan has been expelled, I get up, fetch my pillow and plonk myself flat down on the marble floor and wait. I have grown to love my marble floor. It is cool even on 45 degree days and just like it retains the cool, it helps me retain the little bit of sanity I have left after a crazy day in Delhi.

1 comment: